bluesbuffett

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Bike Blues (Buffett)

It would be fair to say I have experienced a level of frustration around point 6 of my 2007 goals (cycling). A pre-requisite to a successful ride is to have air in both tyres. Sadly, my bike has none, lying idle for seven years. A comical series of events transpired yesterday afternoon as I tried to remedy this. Sequentially:
1. at home, attempt to pump tyres using three different pumps. Unsuccessful.
2. walk bike to local servo. Air hose out of order. Return home, muttering.
3. somehow get bike in car, drive to Rouse Hill servo. Bike tyres would not inflate. Kick said tyres several times, return home, late for dinner. Replace bike against garage wall, in a somewhat cavalier fashion. Commence late-starting BBQ, washing away frustration with moderate quantities of Verdelho. Ran out of Verdelho. Mrs BB volunteered to immediately purchase more from Dan Murphy's, justifying husband avoidance. Rest of family stayed indoors until cooking completed.

So my first 40k cycle for 2007 has been delayed. I now need to get the bike fixed. I have the feeling that the tubing has perished and so the thing needs an overhall. Any tips on good local bike shops?

Since last post, I've managed to get out for a run each day.
Wed 10/01 8k Clean Streets 6am
Thur 11/01 9k Rouse Hill 6am - this included the now legendary 1k time trial:
With urging from Tesso, I pushed myself hard and managed a 4:10 min PB. I await her new challenge (hoping it's still just above 4 min).
Fri 12/01 8k Clean Streets 6am PLUS first weights workout for the year!
Sat 13/01 12k Glenwood Gallop 11am; quite warm and slightly longer than planned, albeit over a new course
Sun 14/01 13k Rouse Hill Ramble 9:30am. This was pretty good, considering my mind was still thinking about a 6am 40k cycle. The swim with Mrs BB and YD refreshed me, so much that I was able to head down to the gym for another weights session before lunch.
This afternoon was a pretty relaxed affair; Son and ED were staying, and so it revolved around watching, with Son, Australia beating the Kiwis; catching highlights of Barnyard DVD with ED; and chasing YD around the house. Max relaxed outside and showed bursts of energy, curiously viewing, from underneath, YD's trampolining ability.

Good to see a post from GoGirl, who seems to be doing some big k's with the Hills Runners on Sundays. Perhaps we can hook up for a cycle if mine ever works.
Miner's training programme goes from strength to strength, although I think he may soon run out of movie quotes for titles. Once you trawl Monty Python, the end is nigh...
What a segue - just look what's coming on March 28! An imperative for all true fans. "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition".
Robert Song has been MIA from blogland, enjoying holidays. 2P is training hard for the Six Foot, doing incredible runs such as this weekend's 43k...
Don Juan is attempting to return to running after surgery to fix his foot problem. Today's events may have distracted him... Paul's training is very impressive - like Miner's he has the wonderful Port Macquarie region to motivate his training sessions.
Non-running but Skyhooks fan Marcia is hopefully coping with her friendly python - perhaps it only eats chickens and mangoes.
Have you worked out I finally decided to learn how to do links?

Drama in the BB family, with BB's mother and step-father caught up in the wheat silo fire at Cootamundra. They weren't evacuated, but were on standby. We're all much relieved.
BB's Dad is hosting friends from days past in Vietnam. A tough gig: a hard day of visiting Eumundi market, walking Hastings St at Noosa, and lunching at Coolum Surf Life Saving Club. Now he's off to see more old colleagues (these from Cambodia days) at Nimbin, followed by Byron Bay environs. Retirement is not for the faint hearted.

This week I'll be heading off to Roxborough Park on Wednesday evening, to do the 3k track time trial with my club Hills Athletics. I'm hoping for 15 min, and that Steve Whelan will take a photo, as it's been 14 years since my last t/t there. Other than that, it will be more running, more weights, and hopefully one sparkly bike.
Oh, and come Friday lunchtime, it's annual leave until 01/02!!! While we went to Ballina in late November, please recall Elbert Hubbard's sage advice:

No man needs a vacation so much as the person who has just had one.

"Exit, stage left"

9 Comments:

  • At 9:52 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    Injecting the tyres or rider with verdelho usually works.

    I had dinner with Go Girl on Friday, but don't tell her husband, and your name came up.

    I suspect something stronger than alcohol was involved in last night's activities. We're a five minute walk from Kings Cross, and its an alcohol free zone now.

     
  • At 11:01 am, Blogger PortRunr said…

    A great start to the year with some good consistent runs there BB. Shame about the bike - hope you get it sorted out for another attempt! After "moderate quantities of verdelho" followed by reinforcements from Dan Murphy's I see you opted for a sleep in ;)
    Good luck with the 3k TT.

     
  • At 11:50 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    New goal - 4:05 by the end of the month.

    How do you manage to take so many holidays? I thought I took a lot. I'm going to use you as an example to my workmates when they start whinging about the amount of time I take off. Having said that I had last night off on rec leave :-)

     
  • At 6:03 pm, Blogger 2P said…

    Nice PB - BB :-)

    Great wrap up of the other blogs too - thanks.

     
  • At 9:14 pm, Blogger miners said…

    wow comprehensive posting mate - and what's more, you've completed a blog summary for me as well!

    Hope you can get the tyres sorted on the bike. Don't know the bike store secene down that way for you though, sorry :(

     
  • At 9:28 pm, Blogger MB said…

    I'm all linked out

     
  • At 9:36 pm, Blogger MB said…

    PS I borrowed my first Rex Stout book, "A Prize for Princes", today from Cairns Library on your recommendation. Sadly no Nero Wolfes on shelf, have reserved one though.

     
  • At 7:59 am, Blogger Don Juan said…

    Centrebet are offering big odds on Carlton winning the 2007 AFL premiership.
    I'd go for odds on a top 8 finish or the knives coming out for Dennis Pagan if you can find it.

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    I can certainly relate to that last quote about needing a vacation.

    It is a bit of an abberation that I never had a copy of the Yellow Submarine soundtrack on LP or CD.

    All the best with your goals for the year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home