bluesbuffett

Monday, January 16, 2006

A Holiday In Need Of A Change ?

"If all the year were playing holidays, To sport would be as tedious as to work."
William Shakespeare, "King Henry IV Part I", Act 1 scene 2

I'd like to narrow the definition of "sport" to that which is socially acceptable in the 21st century, and thereby ward off any licentious comments. It seems to me that Will has got it all wrong. I would love to have to deal with 52 weeks of paid leave. Still, 4 is what I get in total, so I try to make the most of it.

Last week was a bit yin/yang-ish. While enjoying the break and the holiday in general, we agreed that - perhaps - 10 years of exploring Port Stephens' charm has perhaps now sufficed.
"STAY is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary:" Amos Bronson Alcott
We think that By The Bay's invitation must now regretfully be declined for coming years. Nothing wrong with the house or area; it's just that it may be time to see something different.

A pity in some ways; last week's running was my best vacation km on record : 6 runs for 67k, with 2 x 13k being the best. Add in a workout at the non-airconditioned gym, twice daily trips to the beach for frolicking and pelican-spotting, and the fitness angle was covered.
Another surprising discovery : white shiraz for 3 days followed by chardonnay for 3 days, mixed in with cider, greatly assists the holiday ambiance. Also, BBQs held on outdoor decks, with ocean views and aided by libations of previously mentioned beverages are intangibly better.

DVD viewing featured series 5 and 6 of Seinfeld, along with The Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy (THGTTG).

Books read were NOT Historical mysteries !!!

Along with THGTTG (the novel) by Douglas Adams, I read and contemplated What Was It All For ? The Reshaping Of Australia by Don Aitkin. He looks at the changes in Australian society since the 50s from a very personal perspective : starting with his Leaving Certificate 1953 Armidale High School reunion and interviews with classmates. He believes the changes have occurred due to immigration, education and wealth, and expands on this theme.The style is very easy to follow - not at all a dusty academic tome - and the topics very relevant and challenging. I would urge those interested to get their hands on a copy, and consider. Where to for education in 2015?
http://www.newmatilda.com/policytoolkit/policydetail.asp?PolicyID=227

Musically, the Beach Boys got multi-spinning, thanks to YD's fondness for their unique sound. Also, Michael Buble managed to get 2 of his CDs very regular airplay at Chez Corlette. I think I have had my 2006 dose of him thank you very much.

Returning on Saturday, I have managed 2 runs (10k, 8k) and a gym session. Sadly, no rabbits or dogs to set the pace, although the flies greeted me rapturously yesterday morning : so much to relate, all crowding around together in their eagerness. I think Aerogard needs to re-formulate to get my continued consumer support.

" Exit, stage left".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home