bluesbuffett

Sunday, January 21, 2007

If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane

So said my musical hero Jimmy Buffett back in 1977 on his Changes In Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes LP.

On Wednesday night, sanity prevailed over frustration and anger.
I had a sense of anticipation towards my first crack at the Hills Athletics 3k/5k time trial. As one of my goals for 2007, it was important to get one "under the belt", especially as I hadn't run this since 1993, and Steve Whelan has been at me for about that long to get involved.
Still, I had decided to do the 3k, as it was a little easier. I wanted to do 15 min - a nice steady 5 min/k pace. Logically, if I could do 2 min/lap, I was on track. No problem: just a tad under for each lap. Problem? I lost count and ran an extra lap. At lap 6.5, I somehow thought I had two to go, so breezed through in 1:55, then attacked the last 200m of the last lap for a 1:45 min last 400m lap. Great... except I finished in 16:10 min. Hang on! Too slow!
Then I worked it out. I don't have big ears, nor can I fly, but I sure was Dumbo.
So, my actual finish time was 14:25. After the frustration came the positive talk. All my years in Sales served me well: at least I completed the race, and I did it in under 15 min. So, a good start to a worthwhile endeavour. Mrs BB took the photo BEFORE I worked out I'd run too far...
















Afterwards, I got some good tips from HillsAths1, as well as enjoying some of the repast made available by his contact at Bakers Delight. I think Steve cornered the baking market Wednesday night. Certainly the Hills Athletes enjoyed the snacks. Mrs BB and YD came along to watch, and YD took home a large sample bag of goodies, including chocolate scones.
Next 3k is February 21. I'll be aiming for 14 min...

Running has been consistent this last week
Mon 8k Clean Streets 6am
Tue rest day
Wed 8k Clean Streets 6am, plus 3k time trial briefly referred to above
Thur 8k Clean Streets 6am
Fri ibid, plus weights workout at BLC
Sat 10k Rouse Hill in the heat at 9am. I followed the new Windsor Rd bikepath to where it is blocked off, and continued on gravel/dirt around past Rouse Hill homestead then Rouse Hill Regional Park. This is a great family spot with plenty of activities and play areas. It's also a good spot for a little off road running - as long as you don't mind the steep hill in and out. I think I'll add that course to my "should try" list. Could be a good 15k option.
Sun 10k Clean Streets extended at 7am and it might as well have been 10am it was so hot. I just didn't have the motivation to go longer. Mrs BB had a rest day, so we headed off early to The City. YD wanted to see the Australian Museum and Hyde Park. I showed her my old school next door, and we spent a couple of hours exploring the AM in air conditioned comfort. We stayed away from all references to snakes. After that, lunch in Hyde Park near the Archibald Fountain, a brief shopping expedition to Abbeys for some books and a well-deserved afternoon tea break at Gloria Jeans. Then home and into the 38 degree pool...

Now that holidays have arrived, it's relaxation time. A few plans involve exercise, most have other foci. Examples: movies, drive to Wollongong beaches, NSW vs Tas cricket at Homebush with Son, prepare for YD's year one commencement Tuesday week, read a few of the eight outstanding books in The Pile, listen to the new Carly Simon CD.
Sports-wise: get bike fixed (take to Castle Hill during the week), the usual runs (and 1k time trial at Rouse Hill, aming for 4:05 min thanks Tesso) plus weight workouts as well as the Penrith 10k Australia Day Fun Run.
This promises to be special: a free run followed by breakfast and then all the fun of Australia Day activities at Penrith Lakes. Might even see a few other CRs there...

And now to enjoy a pleasant Sunday night without having to front up to work tomorrow...

For those of you who complain and emphasize the moral and ethical beauty of paid employment, I would merely refer you to Aristotle

All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 9:16 pm, Blogger 2P said…

    Nice work on the sub 15 BB ;-)

     
  • At 9:21 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Well done on the 3k. Not so well done with your lap counting though :-) Is that a PB BB?

    I love that Jimmy Buffet album, I've got it in my record collection ... and by record I mean vinyl.

    Enjoy the hol.


    PS Got my fingers crossed for you for that 4:05.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home