bluesbuffett

Monday, January 23, 2006

Insight through Sight

"In the Kingdom Of The Blind, the one-eyed man is King ! "(Kurt Vonnegut)

I now take this aphorism as having two personal applications :
1. I don't feel so bad about having strong, one-eyed views on major issues such as footy tipping selections (this isn't a valid interpretation, but it's a great way to intro the AFL pre-season)
2. If I try really hard at "stuff", I stand a chance of succeeding better than others who don't try as much. I just won't better Go Girl.

This is particularly relevant, as today I thought I was sticking wonderfully well to my programme : over the last week
* 4 x 8k runs, 2 x 10k runs
* 2 x weights workouts
Very virtuous.
This morning I met GoGirl for the first time, and she was into the last part of her 1hr 30min run. Just great ! My puny 42min blahhed out as I rounded the corner for home.

So, it looks like I'll need to take the LSRs to a better, more consistent level. I'll be trying to do more 12-15k Sat or Sun runs now. It's just that the Clean Streets don't offer the motivation that other areas do. I'm thinking it may be time to do the famous 15k Quakers Hill return run again.
Sorry, GG, 90min is a little long for me, although I admire your commitment and training plan. At least I can still wear my CR cap proudly! It is good, however, to know that we all can continue to be motivated by colleagues at coolrunning.com.au community.

Books:
I have started the first of Caiseal Mor's Wellspring Trilogy (Well Of Yearning). He is a well-rated Australian novelist, of Celtic background, having successfully published two former trilogies centred on Ireland in the mists of time : an engaging mixture of fantasy, history and tales of derring-do.

Music:
Currently the Holden is pumping out selections from Radio Songs 1970-1974, a double collection of Hits from the 70s. Great to once again hear Lobo, Hush, Alvin Stardust, Yes and Seals & Crofts. Not so good to hear Maria Muldaur or Norman Greenbaum. Just kidding... I skip through those two...

... and finally, a comment about the bane of a runner's existence

Kingdom Animalia; Phylum Arthropoda; Class Insecta; Order Diptera ("two wings"); Family Muscidae; genus Musca; Species domestica: Musca domestica

The common house fly. I don't need Elton John to remind me of the Circle Of Life or The Byrds to point out that for everything there is a season turn turn turn.

As far as I am concerned, it would be delightful to learn that George Dubbaya has The Fly in his sights straight after Iraq.
Not only does the local chapter attempt to accompany me on my runs, they insist on joining in the fun of the BBQ at home. YD's efforts with a fly swatter puzzled them sufficiently to generate a temporary withdrawal, although perhaps this was merely for them to have a good laugh at our efforts, and indeed agree wholeheartedly that Joseph Conrad summed up our chances rather well:

" It occurred to me that my speech or my silence, indeed any action of mine, would be a mere futility"

Exit, stage left

2 Comments:

  • At 11:00 pm, Blogger Aki said…

    There is nothing wrong with doing a 42 minute run, especially if it's 8k! Even if it's shorter than 8, you're a champion for getting out there. Hope the longer runs will be fun. :)

     
  • At 6:59 pm, Blogger Lulu said…

    No one can keep up with GG at the moment.. she's on fire!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home