bluesbuffett

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cogito sumere potum alterum

For those who didn't continue with Latin to HSC level, this means " I think therefore I'll have another drink". Rather witty, and quite apt. Rene Descartes is famous for his "Cogito ergo sum" ie I think therefore I am. Monty Python later modified his quotation in their Philosophers Sketch to I Drink therefore I am.
Now I don't want to get into the whole philosophical/mathematical argument here, or else we'd be swamped with Modus tollens (proof by contrapositive) and then it's a short step to maths logic and logical assertions. No thanks.
My point is that it seems to me that Sydney seems to embrace this aphorism (albeit unknowlingly) through its very cultural roots. I suppose we could start with the Rum Rebellion of 1808 to showcase our obsession with alcohol (I know, it wasn't really the reason for flicking Bligh, but it's a good story).
Anyway... IMHO, there's nothing as relaxing as a quiet glass or two of chilled white, consumed (in an air-conditioned house) while watching a solid Wallabies win, having completed an excellent 18k run and then a solid weights session. Or so they say.
running
Another good week. 78k in 6 runs.
* Mon 12/06 (holiday!) 17k home/M7 to Quakers Court shops; weights
* Tue 13/06 8k absolutely freezing 6am run Clean Streets
* Wed 14/06 rest day
* Thur 15/06 10k Clean Streets (civilised afternoon run)
* Fri 16/06 10k work/M7 lunchtime
* Sat 17/06 18k home/M7/Rooty Hill; weights
* Sun 18/06 15k home/M7/Woodcroft
the latter two runs were point to point, followed by a lift home from Mrs BB, who has had a rough week, with viruses and some injury. At least she hasn't had Go Girl sneak up on her again!
On track for another solid k's month.
books
It's back to the reliable Paul Doherty, and The Year Of The Cobra (egyptian mystery). Solid.
music
Nothing too exciting, although 10cc fans will rejoice to learn Look Hear (1980) and Windows In The Jungle (1983) are soon to be re-released on CD - after an initial run in the early '90s. I've got the order in.
Interesting to see that the new coolrunning software seems to have DOB info automatically populated - if you don't want it displayed, you need to disable it as an option. So I've been seeing how old everyone is!
I know Tesso (http://tessooooo.blogspot.com/) and I share the same year: along with... no, I'd be telling!

"Exit, stage left"

4 Comments:

  • At 12:24 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    Hey, dob them in! You told them all how old I was. Well, sort of. That's if they know how old you are. 37 next year isn't it ;-)

    Still Googling the Manfred Man song for its meaning but to no avail. But I won't give in ... yet.

     
  • At 5:44 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    You'll get the AFL tipping leader's green jacket back soon.
    It's a long season in any event.
    Going out to see Swans v Collingwood this weekend.

     
  • At 10:53 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    I wouldn't call myself a 10cc fan.

    I read a wonderful book about 14 years, which was one guy's humourous recollections of his music tastes starting from his childhood in the sixties. Unfortunately, I can't remember it's name or the author and can't find my copy. I think I gave it away. Anway, he was a HUGE 10cc fan and one of the running gags in the book was, as the standard of each new album dropped he could never get to the point of not buying them.

     
  • At 11:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My library just bought Year of the Cobra, which I've reserved. Looking fwd to your review.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home