bluesbuffett

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Astonished Serendipity

Alert blog readers will be amazed to see a new post just two days after the last, thereby smashing all assumptions (mathematically based) about frequency. It would appear updates now occur based on whim rather than cyclical patterns.
This one is prompted by the discovery that the West Met calendar is out. Although significantly co-ordinated by Hills Athletics members, SW has not yet posted the calendar on the club's or coolrunning's websites.
Nevertheless, Girraween Athletics Club has (found after series web surfing):
http://www.girraweenathleticsclub.com/content/view/51/30/
Having temporarily retired from the programme last year, I look forward to this year's challenge. I plan to do a strong 10k run each Saturday morning, then complete the short/medium course (2k/4k avg)with my Son - S having retired from soccer at the advanced age of 15. So, motivating him to keep fit will see us completing as much of the calendar as possible (15 runs, Apr through Sep). Having kept an excel file of all my results since 1993, it will be interesting to see what times I do.

It's a great series, ranging over Western Sydney (as the series name suggests). Nice easy ones : Haberfield bike path, Meadowbank bike path. Absolute mongrels : Macquarie Hospital North Ryde, Dundas Upjohn Park. Some with inspiring scenery or near great locations : Emu Plains along the Nepean River, Prospect Reservoir. Some just great for a picnic, drink or play afterwards : West Auburn Duck Creek, Concord Queen Elizabeth 2 Park.
In my experience, always well turned-out, with most Western Sydney Athletics Clubs well represented, including of course Hills Athletics
http://www.hillsathletics.com/news_index.htm

An addendum from my last post : I forgot to mention that the Saturday 10k run was from Max Ruddock Res Winston Hills at 8.00am, as S was playing cricket there. I therefore saw the Hills Hoofers squad after their weekly training run at 7am. I spoke with the group - some absentees as a number were doing the 6 Foot Track ! I ran with these guys a few times 17 years ago, so well done on consistency George and Alistair et al. A link:
http://home.exetel.com.au/running/

The past two days have been according to plan :
Tue 14/03 8k Clean Streets 6am mild
Wed 15/03 10k Clean Streets 1pm humid

Tuesday's run was interesting, in that I was focusing on lifting my right quad in the correct pattern to ensure BB's body didn't just flip over. Yes, still sore after Sunday's effort.
I forgot to mention : Go Girl has a secret weapon : she doesn't seem to sweat much! Invaluable when concerned about fluid replacement. On the other hand, I think I lost the equivalent of 2 mega Camelbak's on Sunday. The Gatorade powder level dropped substantially.
3.5 weeks to go !!!

Exit, Stage Left

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home