bluesbuffett

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sobria inebrietas

"Every man is the builder of a temple called his body" : Henry David Thoreau.

Well I think in June, I added another 310 bricks to my structure, and let me say it was interesting. Psychologically, it was pleasing to break a barrier that - for many years - seemed unlikely to occur. The past month, it tantalizingly beckoned after the long weekend, having completed some longer runs up to then - thanks to the M7 again. Beating my previous best June month (261k) in 2004 was the first goal, so smashing this with five days to go spurred me on - indeed, a modest set of four runs at 8k each did the trick.
A July record beckons: 263k in 2004 would appear beatable; the first two days have clocked up 38k. The month's plan currently suggests 304k.
Two West Met's to report on since last post, although Bethroid appears MIA. Hope she has simply been slack and not unwell.
Prospect Reservoir 24/06 2k went well. I think I have it down pat mentally now: do a long run in the morning, and treat it as a sort of morale booser for my son. It works: here I did 12k before lunch (although no lunch), and he did 8.17 min, thrashing my 9.14 min. The course was easy, although concrete path, so unkind to legs. The strangest part was the finish: a cramped area on the path where all finishers were constantly shuffled to one side to allow cyclists to pass. Such are the compromises we make when seeking Council/Waterboard/Police approval.
Cowells Lane Ermington 01/07 2k was tough. For a start, I did 18k along the M7 to work, followed by a lift home from the patient Mrs BB and the less-patient YD.
The course was one I had not run since 2000, and had a vague recollection of pleasant surrounds with leafy trees and autumn leaves gently cushioning footfalls. Wrong.
The parkland may have been verdant, but it was hilly, and there was an intriguing boardwalk bridge to cross - single file - after the first 150m. This made for slow running. However, the winding track provided enough challenge for some to enable me to
a. not get passed
b. pass 6 runners
So to finish in 9.54 min was pleasing, given that Son did 8.49 min, and the winning time was a tick under 7 minutes. A hard course making for slower times.

Today saw another 18k, again along the M7, but detouring through Railway Rd and on to Quakers Court shops, where comestibles were purchased for today's family "indoor picnic" (as it was about 15 degrees outside). Finishing off with weights, it's restin' time.
Mrs BB seems to have fully recovered from various forms of the lurgy, which resulted in 10 unplanned days off exercise. It is definitely best to rest and not attempt 6.30am power walks in 1 degree weather.

During a recent business trip to Melbourne, my company went on a Foodies Tour, which was okay, except it was freezing, I wasn't at all hungry and the State Library looked more inviting. A comment to a colleague - who was one of the first settlers of Melbourne? (answer : dunno) and the response from me (Batman - (that's John Batman in 1835)) provoked much hilarity and inspired me to brush up on my Australian history, at least to rise above "Philistine pig-ignorance"; "Australia an illustrated history" by A.K.Macdougall to the rescue.

Without a doubt my favourite quote has to be about Robert Menzies, long serving PM:

"When he was 19 the First World War broke out. Although of military age and holding a commission in the Melbourne University Rifles, Menzies did not enlist for overseas service. A public explanation was never given for this decision, although his biographers have usually surmised that Menzies' family decided that he should stay at home while his two brothers enlisted. This decision would later haunt Menzies's political career. Political antagonist Eddie Ward was later fond of saying that his burgeoning military career had been halted by the outbreak of World War I."

No music to report, other than that I am looking forward to identifying possible CDs of interest from a fellow runner's 7,000-strong collection.

"Exit, stage left"

5 Comments:

  • At 8:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go bb, fantastic result, hope july proves as good. Glad to hear mrs bb is better

     
  • At 9:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great ks bb. Good luck for July

     
  • At 10:51 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    And no mention of the Carlton match from Saturday?? Most points win ;-)

    May get round to that music update as I will be having a short break now. Keep the consistency going.

     
  • At 7:34 pm, Blogger blues buffett said…

    thank you anonymous for your kind thoughts

    I have the feeling you are not far from me at all - indeed quite close to home in fact!

     
  • At 11:14 am, Blogger MB said…

    Love the Menzies anecdote, he must've come from the same mould as dubbya

     

Post a Comment

<< Home