bluesbuffett

Sunday, October 25, 2009

BOGOF run

Back from holidays in Qld and Ballina, and back at work too...

Today was my first ever "two races in a day" effort.

SMC #1: great new system with pre-rego and timechip meant a leisurely drive down to Smithfield and a wander over to the start. Remembering to step on the mat when starting and finishing, the rest was just running.

Settling into a steady pace after 1k, no-one overtook me other than the first four 1/2 runners. I said "go Dave!" to D Criniti. Surely left him motivated.

Good negative split with 5k 27:15 and 10k 52:50 with a final km of 4:40. Felt good. Relaxing warm shower then a shortish drive to the Regatta Centre for the free 5k Activate fun run, organised by Nepean Athletics as part of Penrith Council's Activate Day.

About 200 entries for this flat, one loop 5k run. Well organised, with three manned water stations, photographer, large electronic timer clock at the finish, and friendly helpers. And did I mention it's free?

Managed 23:51 (54th), so very happy with the time, even without having done a 10k beforehand. The secret was to take those pesky orthotics out beforehand.

Met KatieR who put me onto the run; nice to finally catch up!

The new iPod 160Gb is great, and there's only a few more CD's to go before having all our music on it. Talk about mobile. With the little aux cable attachment, there's no need for CD's in the car.

Kindle discussions have been pretty heated over where I read stuff, but for me I'd rather a real book. The current one is Six For Gold by Mary Reed & Eric Myer. Another entertaining John The Eunuch 6th century Constantinople sleuthy romp. Great fun and highly recommended. It's wonderful how the internet allows much greater interaction with one's favourite authors than years ago. It's also great that said authors are gracious in their responses.

Otium sine litteris mors est et hominis vivi sepultra.

"Exit, stage left"

3 Comments:

  • At 8:59 pm, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said…

    Two races in one day is not a bad effort at all! Well done.

    I'm with you on the books too. I was reading an article today about the new International Kindle, but I too prefer a book. Browsing in a bookshop is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Downloading via wireless doesn't have the same appeal at all!

     
  • At 10:16 pm, Blogger MB said…

    I reckon Langbroek is a bit of a pill really...

     
  • At 7:38 pm, Blogger eclectic_squirrel said…

    I am pleased to read that I got a mention in your blog.I was also pleased to have the opportunity to meet with you.
    Australia Day Fun Run at the Regatta Centre is also free.
    KatieR

     

Post a Comment

<< Home