bluesbuffett

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Lurgi 1 Blues Buffett 0

"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book": Irish Proverb
Well if I'd read that last week it would have given me the laugh I needed. Sleep? No probs, just no running early in the morning. In fact, two days off work last Thur/Fri. But my colleagues were kind. They divided themselves into two camps:
1. those on Monday who said "oh, were you away last week?"
2. those who left lots of urgent work-related messages on my mobile Thur/Fri
I was a model of consistency; I ignored both.

Running has taken a back seat recently, athough I did manage to a do a couple of easy 17k runs Sat and Sun along the M7. Strangely, my enjoyment was not as per normal; Mrs BB suggested I was an obsessive runaholic who needed to have a full week off exercise to recover properly. Naturally I regarded her suggestion with the kind of amazement one reserves for all ludicrous ideas. Even more strangely, she failed to grasp the mathematical and goal-setting principles currently in place. Otherwise she would clearly see that time off was not permitted if I was to hit 281+ k's this month and break my August record. She retreated, muttering something about the necessity to plan into my diary and schedule a brief heart attack and hospital sojourn.
My running back at work has been reasonable: Mon 8k, Tue 8k, Wed 12k, all along the famous M7 (a triple jump from my office). A strange shortness of breath persists. You would think the virus would have more respect. I have cunningly tried to confuse it, by mixing up the attack. A clever combination of kids multivitamins (little BB doesn't like those particular ones, and they were going to waste), strawberries, lollies and energising red wine has the virus on the run. I hope...

I think that next year I won't do a 25k run followed by a weekend of back-breaking manual work in the garden, in wet conditions. So for sure I won't get sick. Although I did last August; and August before...... enough.

Only three more West Mets, with Prospect on Saturday. After the season finishes, it's then onto tennis for Son. I'll go along, but my heart's not in it. I'm a squash fan, you see, but unfortunately most squash court complex owners seem to have the same idea: sell the complex off for office block development, make a pile of cash, and tell squashies to find another club. At least I know there's one at Ballina, our future home. A shame there aren't any decent ones this side of the Harbour Bridge, or Blue Mountains.

I recently bought the new The Idea Of North CD "The Gospel Project" and at first listen it is up to their high standard, although not entirely a capella by any means. I also purchased Paul Simon's "Surprise" CD, so look forward to seeing if he's made his first decent album since "Rhythm Of The Saints" in 1990...

"exit, stage left"

3 Comments:

  • At 8:32 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    Looking forward to your review of "Surprise". Listening to the track samples on the web site it sounds pretty good.

    Hope you can knock that virus on the head soon.

     
  • At 9:55 am, Blogger speedygeoff said…

    My son, jazz keyboard, used to perform occasionally with a couple of "Idea of North" members in the early days at the School of Music..

     
  • At 8:27 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    Good luck with the comeback to the running and the football tipping. Still a long way to go, in both hopefully.

    Still looking for the Sherbet CDs in the record store.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home