bluesbuffett

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Oh my yakin' back

It's been some little while since the last post. Fortunately, the clamour of eager blog-reading devotees has been limited to the occasional unreasonable demand, so little damage done.

"Just as a prism of glass miters light and casts a colored braid, a garden sings sweet incantations the human heart strains to hear. Hiding in every flower, in every leaf, in every twig and bough, are reflections of the God who once walked with us in Eden": Tonia Triebwasser

It's rather a shame that Tonia wasn't able to muse a little closer to The Ridge over the weekend, becasue we could have used her help in our garden. Having decided some time ago to radically alter (read: significantly improve) all our gardens, this was the week for real action. Soil (1 ton) and pebbles (2 tons) plus weedmat were delivered. Saturday it showered. Still, my programme suggested a long run, so I did my equal longest ever: 25k M7/Quakers Court/home, in 2 hours 24 min. Was even spotted by Princess Odette, although it was really me in Swan Lake Land when she called out. The afternoon showered some more, so all in all, a perfect set of pre-conditions for the next 4.5 hours of heavy labouring. It was interesting to understand that muscles normally only sore after a long layoff from weight-training were complaining loudly after that session.
Sunday beckoned. A short 8k recovery run, followed by 3 hours of completion work. Now it looks great. A shame Mrs BB and I find it difficult to walk from one end of the house to the other.
July was a great month for running: 314k, and a new month record. August is a tricky one. Backing up against my best year (2004), I'm trying to beat 280k. So, a few 22+k runs are planned. One down already.
Of course I still have the December 2004 284k to beat - hopefully there'll be a plethora ("would you say I has a plethora of pinatas? ": El Guapo) of warm, early mornings to hit some big k's then.
Last week saw the return to West Met: #12 Greystanes. An easy course, and a sunny day. I managed 9.14 min, while Son cracked 8.11 min. It's great that he has ability, it's just frustrating that his preparation consists of tying his shoelaces and drinking water. No stretching, certainly no training on other days.
Only two more West Met comp races left: Prospect 19/08 and Crestwood 26/08. Hopefully the Prospect run will provide a special birthday present for him, by beating AE, the leading U20 points-getter.
With winter nearly over, it looks like the shift back to 6am runs will occur during August. My boss will probably be happier then too, although he appears bemused by the whole exercise thing. I recall a previous boss saying to me " show me a marathon runner, and I'll show you someone with too much time on their hands". I assume his health has subsequently held up.

music:
huge news x 2!

1. after many years, I now have a copy of Mike Batt's "The Hunting Of The Snark," all thanks to HillsAths1. Well done Steve!
2. Skyhooks were voted most popular Australian band in a promo for Countdown (cyber poll).
The backlash was severe: I expect to receive a visit from the police shortly, informing me Mrs BB has been arrested for inciting a riot. Soon thousands of angry Sherbet fans will take to the streets of Australian cities, protesting this indigestible outrage. Howzat? Be careful Tesso, Robert Song and Don Juan, although I'm sure they'll focus their attention on Carlton, Baldwin and South Yarra. Watch out Mercedes Ladies.

books:
Retro is in fashion, because the past isn't what it used to be. I am avidly plowing through Maxim Jakubowski (Ed.)'s "Mammoth Book Of Vintage Whodunnits", a wonderful selection of stories from the early 19th to early 20th century. Poe, Dickens, Dumas, Wilkie Collins etc etc... Ripping Yarns (although no Across The Andes By Frog).

Maybe a business trip to Melbourne later this month - hopefully accommodation in South Yarra again, so a couple of Tan laps can occur.

"exit, stage left"

6 Comments:

  • At 12:55 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    Well done on keeping up with the monthly records.

    Mike Batt. I only have one of his records "Schizophonia" from 1977. A couple of the mushy ballads where My Wife's favourites but I much preferred the Road To Agadir with its North African influences.

     
  • At 8:39 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    Tomkinson's Schooldays with school bully was probably the best Ripping Yarn.

    Tipping includes finals, so a long way to go.

     
  • At 9:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melbourne Tip: Whatever you do don't stay at Oakford The Mews just near Prahran Markets. We stayed there in April, the carpet was so grotty it shone.

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    Lurgi! I dream of just having lurgi. This time last year I had pneumonia. 1% lung capacity and 0% ability to run and 0% motivation to stay alive. Try telling that to the young people today and the just don't belive you.

     
  • At 4:03 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Don't tell Mrs BB but I have to agree with those poll results. Hard to think of any other Aussie band to rival the Hooks. Though if shw wants company at the riot I'm happy to oblige :-)

     
  • At 2:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Howzat! I can't believe Tesso has gone to the dark side. Though I still expect to see her fronting the riot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home