bluesbuffett

Friday, April 06, 2007

A Novel Easter

Having finally shaken off the virus that was scared to leave, I have managed to do some decent training.

77k in eight runs, with some sprints tacked onto the end of a 10k hit out. I'm finding the cooler weather more tolerable, and mornings are great for training as it's light at 6am, yet dark at 6:30pm - so I get peace and quiet from the kids in the street who presumably have been herded inside in a vain attempt to remove years of caked dirt. I haven't met Linus, but I'm sure Pig Pen resides nearby.

Pretty much the usual runs during the week, with two distances: 8k and 10k. The decision to do either is based on how I feel at 5:20am. I've made the transition from singlets to T Shirts, so Autumn has arrived. Forget the autumnal equinox; seasons change when clothes do.

I rarely see Go Girl out running - yet she sees Mrs BB with clockwork regularity. Now I know it's because of when she trains. How do I know? Well...

West Met started last week, at Haberfield (by tradition). As Son and I warmed up, Go Girl wandered over! Yes I was very surprised - heavens to murgatroyd!
Seems HillsAths1 has finally convinced her to do the West Met series (longer distance = 8k).
Go Boy did the 2k race with us, and finished well. Son did about 7:48, finishing 15th, and I managed 8:48 (below last year's 8:16 PB, after enjoying lunch too freely).

It was great to be back in the series, albeit briefly. Son has resumed soccer and I'm sure his game time will preclude me from doing too many of the runs. A shame, as they are good motivation for winter training during the week when things get dark and colder.

I have been surreptitiously browsing blogs without commenting on many, although mention must be made of Marcia's : it's not often your husband confronts an angry shark and walks away shaken but not stirred (a little Bond joke there).

The past week or so has seen the hunt for a new Account Manager draw to a successful conclusion. Now to sign them up next week. I like doing two jobs but sadly my company refused to pay me the equivalent salary package. Work Choices again, I fear.

And now for a great scam that has eluded me but no doubt all others are aware of.

I have discovered that being a fanatical devotee of Historical Mysteries, with many favourite authors, causes a large drain on the cash flow. Additonally, the large bookcase we purchased a few years ago has moved from full to groaning. Imagine my delight on both counts when browsing the Blacktown library online catalogue. With four actual branch libraries, this service enables one to reserve and transfer books for pickup at one's most convenient branch.
As well, they have a remarkable selection of HM books I have on my list and despaired of reading because they were
a. out of print
b. still in hardcover with no immediate plans for paperback release

Going a little crazy, I reserved 12 and now have 9 to read in three weeks and 3 more to pick up this week. I've managed one by Amy Myers, and am now onto Alan Gordon.

Musically, it's a minor renaissance week, as Wings has been spinning around the car DC player: Red Rose Speedway, Band On The Run, Venus And Mars, and London Town (just couldn't bring myself to put on Speed Of Sound, or I'd be subjected to Linda's Cook Of The House).

I think only Robert Song, Tesso and Marcia would remember these offerings.

So Easter is here. I hope everyone has a wonderful, safe time and reflects on what, if anything , it means to them. To us, it's about Resurrection and Hope.

Edit: We had a family BBQ today, with all five of us (plus Max). As we started, things went crazy in the nearby street. Ambo and Police sirens followed by the Careflight helicopter landing nearby in our school. Here is what happened. Unbelievably tragic. He was a Kindy student at our school.

The events of the afternoon made us consider many things. I hugged my kids a little closer.

Have a safe Easter everyone.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:48 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    I'd need a turntable in my car if I wanted to play Wings.

    That accident with the little boy made the news up here. So so sad :-( Easter will never again be a happy time for the family and friends.

     
  • At 11:14 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    What no Wings Wild Life?

     
  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    Awful news on the accident.

    Ambo and sirens, sounded like Lance Whitnell and B. Fevola had turned up at the BBQ in breach of AVO orders.

     
  • At 1:04 pm, Blogger PortRunr said…

    Thanks for your comments re Canberra. I like the variety of subjects you manage to fit into all your posts!
    Always terrible to hear of such accidents. Very sad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home