bluesbuffett

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Holiday virus drove me crazy

It's been 22 days, 15 runs and 155k since my last post.

What's happened?

Well, we've holidayed on the FNC, staying at Coffs Harbour, Casuarina, Ballina and Hallidays Point. All up, just over 2,000k driving and progressively getting worse with some sort of virus. It would be fair to say that put a dampener on my enjoyment, although I still managed a few decent runs.

The holiday merry-makers were me, Mrs BB, YD, Son. Naturally ED avoided the ignominy of a family holiday. Our accommodation at Coffs provided scenic views along with complementary breakfast, which Son attacked with gusto.

Casuarina was interesting, with a noticeable similarity in intent to Cabarita here in Sydney. It's the sort of area that is pretty, expensive and a little sterile. Certainly the houses are unusually designed.Here's ours:

With three bedrooms, air con and a lap pool, it had all the comforts. Just looked weird. Good views from the top deck, which would have been an ideal BBQ location however not with the moths that frequent it. My dad called in on his return journey from Melbourne; I am now the proud owner of a limited edition Myanmar Hash House Harriers t shirt. Just the thing for those Burmese riots discussions.


We did Movie World and Sea World, then headed to Ballina for a couple of days. Yes, it's still the place to move to...


An overnight at Hallidays Point (Tallwoods Golf resort)


provided a break before returning home and back to work.


Memorable runs included the bike path from Casuarina to Kingscliff, next to the ocean; and Ballina: North Creek, Lighthouse, Prospect Lake, beaches: just brilliant for running (and living) .


Having called into the GP a couple of times since returning, I now know that I had a virus but it didn't have the decency to hit my chest, nose, throat or head. Just feeling run down and congested. So it's back to normal now and focusing on running.


Two M7 lunchtime runs this week: 8k Monday in 30 degrees, which was pretty stupid, and 10k Wednesday with NTR, which was great company. Just didn't feel up to the Hills 3k after that, but am ready for the SMC 10k Sunday. My netball colleague Joe and I will be heading out there; Joe will be doing the 5k and hoping for a sub 20 min performance. I'll be happy just to do around 50 min for the 10k. The forecast is for 35 degrees sometime that day, so it could be a warm run... Hoping to do the St Marys 8k the following Sunday.

Plenty of excitement now that the Federal Election campaign is underway. This is the 14th I've taken an active interest in, ever since I was a very young lad. I remember the excitement of It's Time in 72, The Dismissal in 75, the Hawke sweeping victory of 83. Maybe I'm getting old. All recent ones have lacked excitement, although Latham managed to successfully generate ill will from me. It's all about luck isn't it? Just ask Menzies. You can hold onto power for many reasons, but if you face ineffectual opposition leadership, you stand a better chance. This time, I think it might be a Dear John letter to dear John.

The only thing I have found amazing so far is this. Murdoch muzzled? The world is indeed bizarro!

Extinctus amabitur idem

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 7:25 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    Sorry we didn't catch up again before I left. I stopped at Ballina, just for a leg stretch and a look around. Sooooo nice, I'm not surprised its still your favourite spot.

    I thought 'the unwinnable election' was certainly memorable. Though you are right, they have lacked excitement since.

     
  • At 7:37 pm, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said…

    thanks for the run ray - it was my best run in weeks and weeks. Thanks for the travel tips too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home