bluesbuffett

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Running 101

Well today was a most enjoyable first SMC run: this season I'm stepping back up to the 10k, with the aim of participating and improving - the basics. With that in mind, I managed 39th in 51:47 today, and
a. it was within the time I expected
b. it was unrushed and unstressed
I cruised through the last k in 4:42 yet my finishing pulse was only 152 (compared with around 180 normally). That's very pleasing and proof that it was a most relaxed run, almost like a normal Sunday morning jog but faster.
Mate Joe managed 41:xx and his friend Michael from Newcastle who came with us was even happier, winning in 37:xx, with plans to get to 35 during the series. I was pleased just to be able to offer them a lift. Speed by association...

Next weekend sees the second leg of the St Mary's double, this time the South Public School. I'm hoping just for a decent run, say under 39 min for the 8k, not expecting to get anywhere near the 36:18 last year. I doubt that Thalia wants to use me as a pacer this year, as she'll be looking to better 36 and I doubt I could get near last year's time in current form. I am enjoying just running for health and fitness rather than speed. Plus I am watching the old hammy niggle.
Expecting a decent CR turnout too.

Philip Kerr has produced another masterpiece "A Quiet Flame", the fifth outing in the Bernie Gunther series, this time set in 1950's Argentina, with Bernie seeing parallels between his current case and that unsuccessfully pursued in 1932 Berlin. Think a German Sam Spade. Riveting stuff.

Did you ever play sport at school where two captains took turns to choose their team from all students present?
Imaging being the those captains and having Nathan Rees or Barry O'Farrell as your choice. Worse, imagine you can't even make that choice for more than two years. Us NSW state voters are in that position. Using that analogy, if I was choosing, I'd choose to merge with another school, in this case the Federal Govt. At least in that school they have better hand/eye co-ordination and some appeal. Nathan seems to model himself on Phillip Marlowe, and Barry is a kind of Everyman's Billy Bunter with verbal diarrhoea.

Palmam qui meruit ferat

"Exit, stage left"

1 Comments:

  • At 8:25 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    Great work in the SMC run. How do your mates run so fast, you need to threaten not to let them out of the car until they give you a running tip.


    PS Pick up the ballot paper and go "eenie, meenie, minie, mo".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home