bluesbuffett

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sail Sail Sail

You'd need to know I am in Sales to perhaps get the post title, along with three things in this post. You'll pick them as as you go...

Since last post, I've managed 62k in 6 runs, plus two weights sessions.
There were two highlights
1. work trip to Auckland, the City Of Sails. Managed two enjoyable early morning runs along the waterfront: Tuesday 16k along Tamaki Drive, which is kind of like running around our harbour. Wednesday was 10k west towards their Harbour Bridge, at Waitemata Harbour. Both great runs, with the added bonus of pleasant early morning conditions. If I'd been home on Wednesday, I doubt I'd have run: 14.3 max and the coldest/wettest October day since 1978.

2. St Mary's 8k fun run today. I backed up from 36:18 last year, and this time there was no Thalia to pace me, or indeed two other colleagues who I'd hoped would show. Based on my current pace, and my hammy/glute niggles, I expected to do around 38 min. As it turned out, I sailed along all the way to manage 37:21, so am pretty pleased with the run, following up last week's cruisy SMH 10k. A couple of surprise Marshalls on the course: John (SMC 42k) and Luis (Sailaway). I wore my SMC singlet (which is brilliant: really well constructed) which made them both, separately, very pleased. It's the only time I've got a "go Clinic" even though I was also wearing my CR cap - which Mrs BB got name-embroidered for me at Castle Hill.
Mate Joe managed sub 32, so he was very pleased. Talk about a quality field: Jamie Harrison fronted to defend his 2007 title, but was knocked off by a guy from my suburb. Anthony Ferrugia was there, after finishing second in last week's SMC half, along with at least three other high quality runners. Friend Jen didn't show, citing golfing duties, so her daughter wasn't there to defend her 2007 title either. I'm looking forward to seeing the results when posted.
It's a really fine run; lovely and flat local suburban streets, well marshalled, plenty of water stations, km's marked, finishing on the school sportsfield under the football posts and with a large clock to show your time. All this plus nice personalised certificates, oranges and water at the finish. On the day $10, pre-entry $7. As Arnie says, I'll be back.

What's next Greg? Well, SMC #2 is not until 16/11, so it's just normal running for me, plus a little bit of TLC at the physio's. I'd like to be able to lift my left leg while running, and also comfortably turn over in bed. Yes, 50 is the new whinging age I know.

Next week sees the second phase of our 10th Anniversary celebrations: My Fair Lady at the Theatre Royal in town. We decided to see Richard E Grant's performance, rather than Reg Livermore. He was great in The Producers, so now it's Rick's turn.

Other than that, sadly nothing of earth-shattering significance to report. I'm currently working my way through Kate Sedley's "The Green Man", her 17th escapade of Roger The Chapman, set in England in 1492. Light entertainment, and I've been reading her series since they started in 1991 (although interestingly Roger has only lived through about seven actual years since the first novel).

Politically, who'd want to be Nathan Rees? He certainly can't feel the love right now. I think if he joined the Keystone Kops they would kick him out for for being too incompetent even for them.

Amantes sunt amentes

"Exit, stage left"

1 Comments:

  • At 1:11 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Well done in the 8k.

    Pity you weren't in Auckland now, its marathon day. Its always so much fun to watch people suffer.

    See ya. I've got some whinging to do :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home