bluesbuffett

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vivian Greene is probably a runner too

Two races to report since last time.
1. CR Twilight #2 Bay Run: 5k in 25:30. Surprisingly slightly slower effort than last time, but felt good in mild conditions. A nice family "picnic dinner" with the BB and Joestat families afterwards. The New Year's Day Twilight promises to be Daryl Eastlake-style HUUUGE!.
2. SMC today: 10k in 53:20, slightly slower than last month, but be fair: the weather was too hot, too greedy.
Joestat did a little under plan, as did other CR's I spoke with. I feel okay after that survey. It couldn't be simply age.

Friday night saw me host CR Twilight #2 at Glenwood. A comfortable jog along the M7 with a small hill to keep runners honest. The weather was quite uncomfortable: 33 and high humidity, with storms around. Total runners: eleven - one louder.
Everyone did the 5k; it was just too uncomfortable! You'd have to be mad to have run then; fortunately I didn't, I just co-ordinated the event. Great help from Joestat at 1/2 way and Mrs BB with marshalling and catering. A good social event.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain"

Next social event: we're hosting a Uni college 30 year reunion next Friday, with some guests making the intrastate trip. BBQ, a few whites and tall stories. Plus photos for posterity and comparison, plus the intent of making it bigger next year.

Thanks to eBay, CDWOW and Fishpond, I can buy hard-to-get CD imports quite cheaply. Just arrived: Manhattan Transfer's new one "The Chick Corea Songbook". I'd expect to pay $35 imported through regular channels; it cost me $25 including postage. Mairchick. Next one: 09/12 Jimmy Buffett's new "Buffet Hotel". That's Buffet, not Buffett. Naturally a compulsory purchase.

Lindsay Davis has bounced back with a huge new novel, and I mean huge. At 730 hardback pages, it's a story set during the English Civil War: Rebels and Traitors.

Wow! If only I could have studied history this way at school and Uni, I would have enjoyed it even more. You might say that there is plenty of background information and that it leaves you better informed. It is well researched, and a good read too. Recommended. Now I've just started the Medieval Murderers latest: "King Arthur's Bones". Good reading!


Cave ab homine unius libri

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 9:40 am, Blogger Andrew(ajh) said…

    If those photos for comparison are 30 years old I'm not sure I like that idea much. We don't look as good aswe did 30 years ago :-(

     
  • At 7:46 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    It was really nice to meet you at SMC, Ray; thank you for saying 'Hello'to this newcomer.

    I've been taking a look at the links to the books you mention and, being a crime novel nut, especially interested in the "Medieval Murders" series. Seems like a lot of fun there & I've not heard of them before. I suppose they would be available in good bookshops? Or on line?

    They've got me interested, anyhow, so I'll be on the lookout next time I'm browsing the bookshops.

    Hope you're enjoying running while it's cool!

    Norma (aka Luckylegs).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home