bluesbuffett

Saturday, September 09, 2006

I feel a little crazy, I feel a little strange

Since Robert Song has recently commenced his blogs with a song reference (and Miners has been doing the Movie thing) I thought I'd do the song bit too. This one's pretty easy. I certainly have felt a little out of sorts: having TWO consecutive days off running to give the hips/back/legs some rest, running in sub-arctic conditions today AND only doing 11k because of the rain. Weird. I thought Spring had sprung. Not so.
Recent runs had been reasonable:283k for August, and Sep off to a good start - 86k so far. Last Saturday's 18k to work was sound, as was Tuesday's 6am 12k around the Clean Streets. Otherwise, forgettable.
Next Sunday sees the Baulkham Hills Orange Blossom Festival conclude, and HillsAths1 has organised a fun run (actually, three - 2k, 4k, 8k). I think I have persuaded Son to do the 8k with me; he is trying to figure out if he can last 8k and so beat me - the primary objective. The course is good - Castle Hill Showground through bike path/bushland to Fred Caterson Reserve and return. I may look indecisive wearing my Hills Athletics singlet and CR cap.

Mrs BB is pleased as I bought the newly-released Diana Krall CD today: "From This Moment On". Currently unreviewed by the BB household. I imagine Diana and Declan will be pretty busy from now on until Christmas, when the baby is due.
I am very pleased as I picked up Nilsson's "Schmilson In The Night-As Time Goes By" sessions CD (23 tracks) for $9 from JB today. I think he and then Linda Ronstadt started this whole retro thing (I would say that pre-1974 was already retro).
There is a whole flashback thing happening now, as new releases are due this month from Carly Simon and Elton John. Reg's work over the past 14 years has been bland, however I am swayed into purchasing his new CD, as it promises to be an update of the autobiographical "Captain Fantastic" 1975 CD, called "The Captain And The Kid".
Also imminent is Scared Weird Little Guys' new CD: "Mindless Stupidity For The Thinking Person". I'll snap that one up.

Having been an interested observer in Austraian political life for 30 years, including some incidental study as part of an Economics degree at that hotbed of revolution, Macquarie University, I can only once again shake my head in a knowing way. Queensland politics has always fascinated me. How Sir Joh stayed around in power so long I can't fathom. To southerners, his pronouncements were entertaining eg Crane Index, attempted explanation of the separation of powers under the Westminster System, but surely only sycophants never questioned him???
Now we have a fourth term for Honest Peter, whose current campaign appeared to consist of boldly acknowledging that everything was pretty much a mess, but he would try to fix it if he was returned. That and his belief that the election result would turn on a knife-edge. I imagine having only a 67% majority must be stressful. Incredible. I suppose Dr Flegg will get to know his seven Liberal colleagues all the better now that he has confirmed his intention to remain leader of 10% of the parliament. After all, he has managed to increase his team by 33% - from six to eight. Again - incredible!
NB I don't think NSW any better with a choice between Morris Iemma and Peter ???*
Victoria of course is run by Hymie from Get Smart, and WA by a former Stateline presenter.
Don't start on the Federal Sphere. What can you expect when the first and twenty-fifth PM went to my school. Even my old Senior prefect (when I was a youngish lad) is now a senior pollie responsible for Water, after being the Spycatcher in 1983... we had a feeling he would go places - he just wouldn't stay there...

"exit, stage left"














* answer: "Debnam" NOT Debman or Debner or The Debster

2 Comments:

  • At 11:25 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    I'll be living in the 70s (and 80s) next Sunday night at the Countdown Spectacular. Can't wait. Tell Mrs BB I'll say hi to Dazza for her.

    Must say I was happy with yesterdays result. Deputy Anna Bligh runs with us at Pat's, she's a pretty down to earth and friendly lady. Can't wait for the day she's our number one.

    Joh - who knows. Same with Flo. I remember going to this big election night party once and there were guys at the door who wouldn't let anyone in who didn't put Flo last on the ballot card. I got in :-)

     
  • At 8:39 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    You aren't starting the Skyhooks / Sherbet religious war again, are you.

    Hey I took to the streets, along with many others during the Joh era. He stayed in power simply because of the gerrymander. The current Labor government stays in power because the Opposition is a complete and utter rabble and have zero credibility.

    As much as I detested Joh, the Crane Index is something that still lives on. At our work, there is a beatiful view from the men's toilets. As you do your business, you can look out over The Valley and up to the city. One of the things to do, is count the cranes on the skyline to come up with the current Crane Index. It seems to be on an upward trend which matches the prosperity at the moment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home