bluesbuffett

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

And if I only could, I'd make a deal with God...

This is by no means a religious or thoughtful post - merely an intro to my run last Saturday.

I'd be happy for Kate to run up the hill (or road, or building) with no problem instead of me, because on Saturday I had a sort of DNF.

Mrs BB and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary last week, and went to Harvest vegetarian restaurant at Rozelle Friday night. It's just the best veg rest in town and worth the trip. Anyway, someone had to mind YD, so MIL did, and stayed over. That meant getting her home to Wentworthville again Saturday, as she doesn't drive far. Since the forecast was for maximum heat and oppression, our plan was for Mrs BB to do an early walk, breakfast etc and take MIL home; I would run 18k there, meeting the three of them 95 minutes later.

No doubt a pragmatic and thoroughly-prepared mouse also experienced problems that day, as my best-laid plans failed.

Heading off at 7.30am with my fuel belt stocked with frozen water, I felt full of confidence. I should have known it was really hubris.

Probably around 14k I realized I had concerns:
a. I had very little water left
b. it was about 30 degrees
c. hills weren't my friend
d. using the M7 meant the run was not 18k but about 21k
So I went for plan B. Drag mobile from fuel belt, call wife and plead for assistance. I felt I could make it to Fitzwilliam Rd, but not uphill the last 1k. This prophecy proved correct, and I gratefully flopped into my car at the 20k mark after 106 min running, re-fuelled with ice cold water, and headed off for the next part of Life's adventure...

Still, 184k so far this month, with some good early morning runs at 6am or earlier during the week. Now that the weather has turned in my favour, it's more pleasant to run early than mid-morning, which presents a weekend problem. Indolence is therefore actively discouraged, in favour of early workouts followed perhaps by mid afternoon siestas.

With the pool set at 32 degrees, the new cantilever installed to provide extra shade over the outdoor setting and the gas cylinder filled for the BBQ, the only recent pressure has been on deciding whether or not to open the chilled White Shiraz or Verdelho. Mrs BB and I put forward separate convincing arguments for both, but in the end sensibly decided to do what all happily-married couples do: compromise. We had both. Ubi amor, ibi oculus.

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 9:41 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    The grapes of wrath: having to drink both shiraz and that hard to pronounce variety.

    Congratulations on the anniversary, and not having to drink anything stronger.

     
  • At 9:40 pm, Blogger MB said…

    Reminds me of our afternoon 3.5 hr hike through Garigal NP (Sydney) the day after Boxing Day last year when it was 30c plus with only a 600ml water between the two of us, very foolish. Luckily we found a miniscule waterfall about two thirds of the way through the the hike.
    How was the latest Akunin book? I love the Fandorin stories. "The Death of Achilles" was so comical, that episode with the piglet in the restaurant was hilarious.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home