bluesbuffett

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The old get old and the young get stronger

If you know this song, you'll also know what time I went for a run today. Did the M7 south 10k, yesterday the M7 north 10k. Great path, no interruptions, only a couple of cyclists to break the mood.
The title also refers to my "battle" with my son. At least that's how he sees it. He's 16, slightly taller than me, and will keep growing.
Can't say he's sensitive, although his maths is good. He suggested a BIG celebration in two years time, when he turns 18, his eldest sister 21, and me 50 - he seemed to dwell on that last one. I thanked him for his idea and asked him to come up with a winning plan that involves him forking out the dough. That shut him up. He's good with money management too.
His big challenge is definitely just to beat me in Sunday's 8k. I'm scared to start in front of him. Hope Steve W has organised metal detectors.

So the QLD election is over, and the funniest part was Bruce Flegg not knowing he had four sons (well, he was one off - maybe he watches too much old Fred McMurray tv shows).
Soon we'll have VIC, then our own turn. It's such a shame that all the efforts of the last 19th century to fully democratise Australia have been partly wasted, since many are apathetic, driven by their perception that there is little real difference between the two majors. They're correct.
This could easily slip into a lecture along the lines of "those were the good old days", but at least when I was in my formative years, I knew the distinction:
Whitlam was a god, Fraser was a bastard.
Nowadays, I almost pity Johnny, for it seems clear to most of my group that he doesn't have vision, he has myopia.

Enough, the blood pressure rises...

A couple of medium runs plus weights is the plan until the weekend. Looks like the runs will be 6am ie before work!
It's been so long since hitting the streets at this time, I'll need to reaquaint myself with all the old regulars. Wonder if GoGirl will be out there?!

"exit, stage left"

3 Comments:

  • At 12:57 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    The Doors of Perception?

    "The Beatles" - it is great. Pity about dodgy 4th side. Greatest one and a half album ever ?

     
  • At 2:03 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Whitlam still is a god :-)

     
  • At 5:36 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    I still can't find anyone who admits to voting for johnny. Bring back the DLP.

    This tipping will go down to the wire. I'm going to tip a couple of underdogs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home