bluesbuffett

Sunday, October 01, 2006

I used to hurry a lot, I used to worry a lot, I used to stay out 'til the break of day

If you know this famous song from 1979, then you'll understand why I've used it. My longest run ever!!!
Today, I decided to kick-start October with a solid run. With the family visiting relatives in Darwin this week, I obviously have too much time on my hands. Batching plans included car washes, washing, ironing, vacuuming etc etc so I thought today I'd try a record distance. My previous best was 25k; today I managed 28k! Fully prepared withe the fuel belt, I discovered the drinks stay cool until 1 hour 10 minutes into the run. Then they might as well come from a warm shower. I rationed, but ran out around 22k so didn't go for 30k. Total time today: 2hr 32 min. Felt good enough to attempt the other item on the agenda: weights workout at BLC. Managed that easily - I just avoided most leg weights.

Plenty of running since the last post: in fact, 143k including today. Weights too. Interesting to follow Miner's Movie Quotes and Robert Song's Music ones. They are getting quite a following. I've managed a few, although perhaps I should get out more and see a movie or two.

A super AFL grand final and a good result for me. The Weagles have always been up there in my top three faves for a while, and - psst - I don't like the Swans!
Just because I live here doesn't mean I have to support them. After all, I lived in the Bennelong elecorate for years, and that never made me vote for little Johnny.

Just finished watching the NRL grand final. Congratulations to the Broncos. I still hate them. It probably all goes back to the first state of origin in 1980, and Chris Close's shameful assault, unpenalised. Ever since then I've realised that Queensland RL players have been recruited solely for us in NSW to despise. For everything, turn turn...

So I guess that's a 50% strike rate this year. About average. At least I never really looked like needing to destroy the television.

We have a Labour Day long weekend here in NSW. My work colleagues at Melbourne H/O complained bitterly on Friday, until I reminded them
a. they had one in March
b. they have Cup Day in November, which we don't get ever. They rapidly found other topics to pursue.

In CD news, I can report that the new Elton John release "The Captain And The Kid" is pretty good, probably his best since 1992. I have also purchased Weird Al's new one "Straight Outta Lynwood" and will shortly be putting it through its paces. More later.

It's rather a strange time of year right now; warm enough certainly to provide a hint of forthcoming heat, although with the football seasons just completing, it still has a winter feel. We now move into a sort of limbo land until the Ashes tour begins in earnest. Let's hope Greg Ritchie is wrong: I think we CAN win with Abbott and Costello in charge...

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 9:09 pm, Blogger Don Juan said…

    Riders on the storm; it's perfectly healthy to loathe and detest the thuggish Broncos without a reason, but referee favourtism is still a good one. Day-time finals would also be good so the referees can see the ball.

    I can't get no satisfaction in this finals tipping. Even beaten by Tesso.

     
  • At 2:20 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Oh BB, 'hate' is such a strong word ;-)

    LET'S GO BRONCOS !!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home