bluesbuffett

Sunday, February 17, 2008

St Augustine, Augustus and august injuries

"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know."

It seems my blog gets an update each time the SMC rolls around. I can only apologize profusely to all avid readers, lurkers, commenters and offline information seekers.
Today was SMC #6. While not a PB, I was pleased with 24 min flat for the 5k. Turning around in 12:25, I came home in 11:35 (like last month) and did the last km in 4:19. A fresh morning (17) with cloud cover made it perfect running conditions for the record turnout. My mate Joe managed 20:06, a great effort after hamstring troubles which are slow to go away. Steve Whelan cracked a superb 19:45, a PB for this series. He must be serious - he even did a warm up run...
Injury-wise, the bursitis has settled down well, sadly to be replaced by the piriformis, so more physio expense. Additionally, back muscular issues mean a welcome trip back to the chiro next week. I'd hate to think how much I've spent (net of private healthcare refund) over the past four years on these two...

The good news is I don't plan to detail all the running since last post. Excel fans can request a copy of the file. Some decent runs, tempered by the afore-mentioned ailments and annual leave, with no major varaiations to locations.
Still, I did the CR Summer Twilight run at Doonside Friday 01/02. Did the 10k in 50:15 with a 24:40 negative split. A good hitout along the M7, I was pushed all the way by Cliffold (Martin). I was hoping to do the Parramatta 10k Friday night but was a little tired after 11k in the morning, wieghts and generally feeling flat with traces of a virus.

Still, consistent running has been the theme of the past month. I have given up on cycling, and the bikes have gone to a good home at Bondi, via eBay. Mrs BB also sold two old but "in great nick" mobiles for $80, and other treasures await lucky purchasers...

Annual Leave has come and gone, with a flying visit from my dad, and a trip to the Central Coast for some swimming (and fish'n'chips by Woy Woy lagoon). Now it's back into the excitement and fast-paced action that is Retail, until our trip to Dubbo Zoo in April school holidays. Tracker Riley bikepath isn't too bad a training option either...

Picked up some CD's on eBay: "The Ragpicker's Dream", and "Kill To Get Crimson", both by Mark Knopfler. Also Suzanne Vega's newie "Beauty And Crime": a little like "99.9F"from 1992. Haven't spun the MK discs yet.

Just finished a wonderful, and long, biography of Gaius Octavius, who became Augustus and Rome's first Emperor (sorry, make that Princeps).I never realised how important his close friend Agrippa was in Octavian's rise to power; fascinating to realize that he was the military brains (and might), while of course Octavian masterminded, cajoled, threatened, negotiated and compromised. Ultimately he won. Also interesting to learn that, although Octavian lived to the (for ancient times) old age of 76, he suffered from various illnesses much of his life. Perhaps the strangest was his getting ill before most major battles. Physical or mental?

Next up is Steven Saylor's epic historical novel "Roma", weighing in at 550 pages HB, and promising much. His Gordianus novels are superb, and after 53 pages, Roma is proving to be a page-turner...

No point commenting on Sorry Day or all the hoo-ha that went with it. "Consensus" means general agreement, not unanimity. I for one was proud we did what we did. For me, it shows the yawning gap between past and present governments, and justifies yet again my ongoing voting preference. May we continue to rationally debate values - principles not monetary ones...

Per angusta in augusta

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 1:39 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    Nice running especially considering the nigglng injuries. You really are a master of the negative split.

    Totally agree with you on the 'sorry' thing. Made me so proud to be a supporter of the good guys. And knowing it got some coverage overseas, proud to be an Aussie.

    Wouldn't it be good to go to dinner with all those ex PMs :-)

     
  • At 10:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Re comment on my blog...what is this strange and exotic language you speak? Test matches? Proteas? LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home