bluesbuffett

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Tom Lehrer is right

Tom Lehrer once said that political satire was obsolete, after Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace prize.
Without doubt, this has been reinforced by Brendan Nelson's Shadow Cabinet announcement.
I mean, Tony Abbott as Shadow Indigenous Affairs spokesperson!
And Bronwyn Bishop for Veterans Affairs!
For me, this puts BN in a new light. I thought he was merely trying to emulate the winning presentation style of P Ruddock, but with his zany appointments, there is a Groucho Marx attempting to gain ascendancy.
Still, Labor supporters everywhere have reason to feel confident of 2010 victory even now, with the opposition being led by the team of The Locum and Dr Farnsworth.
It is as though eleven years of bad karma have caught up, and we are treated to this, as well as the political journos each writing their own backstory. For me, the funniest is the QLD Libs' leadership battles, and the threat to have a lucky dip leader. Maybe Rusty will do a Nelson and opt for the Libs. He'd be a better leader, although Queenslanders still feel Mickey Mouse is better qualified.

In my own seat of Greenway, we are soooo lucky to have Louise Markus (Lib) returned, with a substantially reduced majority. Oh well, see you out and about in another 2.5 years Louise. Remember us. Remember where we are, too.

Running has been steadily improving, with the bursitis being self-managed. Plenty of stretching, decent runs but nothing over 15k. Even some sprint training at Rouse Hill park: 2 x 1k efforts of 4:45 and 4:33. Pretty happy I can even do sprints, so I guess I am running within my constraints.

I've decided I'll do the SMH run next weekend, but dropping down to the 5k, so supporting Joe for the first 100m. I'm sure he'll do under 20 min again. I'm aiming for a sub 25 and hope my leg holds up.

On the dental front, it's fair to say Bella Dental has dedicated a Blues Buffett wing, in recognition of the sterling business sent their way over the past month. However, in the washup, no crown, no root canal, no major activity. Night split, filling, different diagnoses. The current one in favour is that the cracked tooth is manageable, and the referred pain was from muscular injury to the jaw and surrounds. Anyway, it seems to have disappeared, so no more daily Nurofen and plenty of sleeping.

All of this is no doubt fascinating to loyal blog readers, and I apologise for not providing updates over the past four weeks. As with other CR bloggers, it appears that life has got in the way of cyber life.

On the reading front: I can heartily recommend Philip Kerr's fourth novel in the Bernie Gunther series "The One From The Other". I don't lightly describe novels as Page Turners, but this is. If you haven't read the Berlin Noir trilogy (now obsolete with this fourth installment, and a fifth due in 2008), do so. Think Phillip Marlow in Germany pre- and post- WW2.

Musically, I've managed to pick up the first two Whitlam's CD's on eBay, so plan to catch up on a few old favourites as well as explore - to me - early unknowns.

Musica delenit bestiam feram

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 10:24 pm, Blogger Tesso said…

    Gotta thank the Qld Libs, they give all those who weren't around in the dark ages (ie the Joh years) some pollies to be embarrassed about.

     
  • At 7:37 am, Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said…

    ohh whitlams cds...which ones?? i have some old ones somewhere too, they are great..glad to see your ebay habit hasnt changed since we have been away ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home