bluesbuffett

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Hail Fellow West Met

Now that the West Met series is here, more frequent blogging may occur. While ruminations around music, books, politics and other topics may entertain the jaded reader, this blog's raison de'tre is running. And plenty of it.

Week one (29/03) was Haberfield, a tasty little course; easy on the eye, nice and flat with a mix of grass and bitumen bike path. As always, the first run of the season is WARM. No exception this year, with the temp around 23. A large field enthusiastically signed up and parted with $20 for the 14 runs. Reasonable value, no?
After running nearly all 2k events in 2006 with Son, and virtually none last year due to his soccer match times, 2008 sees a step up to middle distance races of 4-5k each, although without Son who is focusing on soccer again (in the mornings). I am heading to each event with friend Joe, who is promising some decent results. Last week saw him deliver 16:05 for the 4k. I managed 18:51, and was pleased with that, especially finishing the last k in around 4:20.

Week two (05/04) was Concord, an interesting cross country course which involved some hills, plenty of sharp turns and a warm 21 degrees. I estimate most people added about a minute to their Haberfield result: Joe 17xx, me 19:44 with a blistering last 500m uphill in 2:16. That was one tough run, made more difficult by standing at the starting line for 10 minutes in the warm sun trying not to become comatose.

Next week is Rydalmere,a tricky course along Parramatta River, involving a few turns also, as the original route has been cut short due to Waterfront Apartment construction. Ah well, rich people have to live somewhere too.

Plenty of decent training apart from the races, with distances from 8k to 15k being posted. Weights is more enjoyable, with the new iPod Nano purchase enabling me to block out all the C Rap on Music channels in the gym. Memo to self: ease up on belting out Paradise By The Dashboard Light. Patrons are nervous.

I find myself in the strange position of having read all borrowed library books and all newly-purchased books. I am therefore starting on "Don't Stop The Carnival" by Herman Wouk, a copy of which I purchased on eBay some months ago. I have also placed five urgent reservations at the local library for books on the BB reading list.

I seem to be so busy nowadays that I rush through Bloglines, read entries and move on without comment. I apologise for this Tesso, 2P, Jenruns, Owlie, RobertSong, Marcia, NTR and all others. The blogs are interesting, and I will comment soon.
Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of your Australian holiday Marcia and

Robert Song and Tesso!!!
Good luck in Canberra!!!
(Oh, and we just bought: George Of The Jungle, Aquaman, Josie And The Pussycats, Penelope Pitstop and tales Of The Texas Rangers. I'm contemplating series one of Robin Hood - the 1950's version with Richard Greene).

For now, though I must take my leave and return to my novels. As Cicero once told me:
Consuetudinis magna vis est

"Exit, stage left"

2 Comments:

  • At 10:47 pm, Blogger Robert Song said…

    Meatloaf is a bit uncool these days. Do you get to slide into home base at the gym?

     
  • At 9:05 am, Blogger Tesso said…

    What is it with gyms and their music, at least half the patrons at mine wear iPods to block it out.

    Some good running there by the way, though make sure when doing x-country that you WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home